Friendly Pet Tips for Summer
By Lorraine Murphy, from Pet’s Corner at Whelehans Pharmacy
- Always have a ready supply of water available.
- Make sure to walk your dog(s) early in the morning and evening as they can suffer from heat stroke easily.
- On hot and sunny days, if the path is too hot to touch by hand it is too hot for your pets’ paws!
- Do not leave your dog in the car unattended. The combination of lack of oxygen and heat could be lethal for your pet. Sadly, there are still many avoidable tragedies due to this carelessness.
- If travelling with your dog by car for any length of time you should always having a cooling mat for your them to lie on. Make sure to have regular pit stops, including toilet breaks for your pet(s) and plenty of fluids too. Never, ever let any pet travel in the boot of your car!
New Whelehans Pets Corner
We have recently introduced a ‘Pets Corner’ in Whelehans Pearse St Mullingar so we can support you with your furry best friend’s basic health needs (as well as your own!). Our local Veterinary Practices are the experts in animal care, so we are not bypassing the essential services our local Vets provide. Our pet lover Lorraine Murphy has thirty years of animal experience and is available if you are looking for little bits of advice on your pet at no charge, simply call in. Lorraine can also help you decide if you need to bring your pet to your Vet.
Lorraine’s background with pets
Lorraine explains “I have loved and admired animals for as long as I can recall. I was five years old when I first rode a horse, I have been involved with them ever since. Over the last thirty years I have been a passionate proud animal owner. At present I have three dogs, two of which are rescue. We also have one cat, five chickens three of which are rescue. We have three horses, one we rescued and one we fostered. I would love many more pets, but my husband would leave!
My animals educate me every day. My experience of caring for my animals in addition to knowledge gained from animal experts over the years has given me some valuable insights into the rudiments of animal health.
Overall our main aim with our ‘Pets Corner’ is to give basic advice to pet owners and supporting them with over the counter tick, flea and worming medication”
Disclaimer: We always recommend you consult your veterinary clinic and we always refer you to your veterinary clinic when more expert advice and care is required for your pet
For health advice and information call in to Whelehans Pharmacy’s, log on to www.whelehans.ie or dial 04493 34591 (Pearse St) or 04493 10266 (Clonmore).